Signal9 Reliant Pistol Hybrid 1911 Revolver

Marketed as a great option for self-defense and EDC:

Signal9-Reliant-Pistol-1911-Revolver-CCW-EDCMultiple calibers to pick from… 4 shots, 4 barrels, with a rotating firing pin.  Hmmmmm…. why?  It’s like some of these companies try and figure out ANY little “neva bin done befo'” twist with firearm design and run with it, no matter how complicated or unnecessary.   There are numerous reasons this is so unnecessary, but one is the fact it’s pretty damn big for what it does.  It’s 0.75″ shorter than the sub-compact Glock 26 for instance, but is thicker and wider.  Not only that but this Signal9 thing only holds 4 rounds (and an extra 4 in the grip, for a reload), and the Glock26 has 10 ready to go in a tiny little magazine.  The only major advantage I see that this reliant has is the “no snag” aspect in that there is that there is no reciprocating slide, external hammer, or external rotating cylinder for all 4 of the shots.

Wat-memeAnyone else think that by looking at the trigger, it checks all the boxes for being “pure ass”?

MSRP is $500.  There is lots more information on the Signal9 Defense website if you care.  *shrug* the market will decide as always if this is a better idea than I think it is.

Dan G March 11, 2015 at 05:25 am

HMM been done before and failed I wonder why…

blehtastic March 11, 2015 at 09:50 am

When Caprica was on, I think everyone looked up the COP and saw all the reviews that the trigger was apparently atrocious.

I think this could be really great if its trigger is comparable to double action only ccw guns, or better, but I agree it should come in bigger calibers. If this thing got crazy and had a S&W 460 model, I’d be all over it.

ENDO-Mike March 11, 2015 at 01:50 pm

Oh hahah. So much for Neva bin done befo’

Anmut March 11, 2015 at 06:36 pm

I’ll say yes, but only if I can get one made out of titanium and that fires the .460sw. And I want it for $500.

derpmaster March 11, 2015 at 06:59 am

Caliber list from their website:
.32 ACP (requires moon clip)
.32 HR Mag, .32 Long, .32 Short
.380 (requires moon clip)
.38 Spl, .38 +P, .38 S&W, .38 Long, .38 Short

So basically it fires stupid cartridges that are at the very bottom of what is considered powerful enough for CCW. Why not just get a freaking LCP or P3AT, which accomplishes the exact same thing while being lighter, thinner, shorter, far less expensive, and holding 3 extra rounds? Or just man up and get something like the G26?

JoeDeke March 11, 2015 at 07:44 am

I think this actually does have a niche market for older folks that have trouble racking a slide. It would be a good Grandma gun.

2wheels March 11, 2015 at 01:27 pm

Unless this thing has an awesome trigger, a revolver works just as well for people with difficulty racking slides.

Yeah March 11, 2015 at 08:13 am

If it cost $100 bucks, there would be a market. It costs MORE than better options. might as well dig a hole and throw the money in.

Shrimp March 11, 2015 at 09:10 am

Actually, that’s a far better use for the money, considering that if you wanted your money back, all you have to do is dig it back up again. Good luck getting anything close to 5 bills back on that waste of metal and plastic.

jeff March 11, 2015 at 08:37 am

looks like a redjacket design lmao only theres no fucked up welds

LongBeach March 11, 2015 at 09:09 pm

Or molested children…

2wheels March 11, 2015 at 01:26 pm

Meh, blatant remake of the COP derringer. Hopefully it has a better trigger than that particular disaster.

There’s just too much competition in the CCW market nowadays for something like this to survive.

Quasimofo March 11, 2015 at 02:19 pm

A COP copy. For a CCW in .380, it’s about 10 years late to the party and big-ish *cough*G42*cough*. And for a .32, there are more practical options that conceal much easier, like the LWS32, etc.

Tantal74 March 11, 2015 at 03:07 pm

If I heard those dimensions correctly this thing is bigger than a Glock 26, Walther PPS, S&W Shield or similar sized sub compact. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say this is also heavier. So it’s worse in every single category you can judge a carry gun by, but has the advantage of using the super “reliable” and totally new action as seen in the COP derringer and to an extent the Cobray Pocket Pal.

At least you can get an optional laser too and hopefully at least blind your attacker.

Critter March 11, 2015 at 05:10 pm

the first one of these things i ever saw was a wee bitty thing in .22 short, probably 35 years ago. it was a copy of a late 19th century design that was a byword for unreliability even back in it’s day. i can’t say “doing it bigger” is a better idea.

mike March 11, 2015 at 08:04 pm

Soooo, I actually had a COP back in the eighties. Even though all of the horrible stuff you’ve all said is true, it really was awesome. .38spl was only about 3 bucks a box if you traded in brass and it was fun to try to shoot rocks up in the mountains. The thing was well built and felt OK in the hand. And don’t forget some of the other stuff from the time period. H&K VP70Z comes to mind. And the Wilkinson Arms Linda. Back then most of the guns we bought were to go have fun with, not to defend us to the death. I’d like more weird, fun shootin’ irons nowadays so that I can take new shooters out for some play time before they get too serious.

Looking at the prices on Gunbroker, I wish I would have kept it.

Joey Jojo Jr. March 14, 2015 at 01:14 pm

I shot a friends’ COP quite a bit, back in the day. It wasn’t a bad backup gun, though a J-frame Smith was a smaller, easier-to-shoot choice.

Given the plethora of snub revolvers out there in the material and caliber of your choice, I’m not sure if one of these modern pepperboxes is a great choice, but hey… if you want one ’cause it’s cool and you want to shoot it…go right ahead! :)